Friday, 23 September 2011

Prologue Part 2 of 2

This boat ride is a rip off...
On the second day I was in Miri, I thought I'd visit the cave that I learn about in history lessons back in school: our very own Niah Cave.

I thought I'd get lost on my way there but the road is full of signs and it only took about an hour drive from Miri.  I thought I'd be able to drive along the beach but was a little bit disappointed as I can't really see the sea even though I'm driving along it.

I didn't bring my dslr with me so here's just some photos for sharing, taken with an N8.





Not very helpful sign...
Upon paying RM10 entrance without knowing anything, I asked the helpful lady at the counter a simple question:  "Hi, I just wanted to visit the cave, I don't know anything.  What should I do from now?"  I was then given a poorly photo-stated map of the area, and some basic instructions on what I should do and what I should expect... but the nice lady missed out something important.. but more on that later...


Teh C kosong river.
To reach the caves, I was told I'd need a boat ride.  It'll cost me RM1 and I thought, why the hell not, couldn't be that bad... until I know the boat ride is only 30 second long to get across to the other side... and it cost another RM1 to come back.

Not sure what this building is.
A reassuring sign that I'm in the right national park.

More signs.
Right.  I came here to see some cavemen arts, so that would be 4.1km.  That would be 2 way 8KM to get back to where I started... better get started soon, 2.8km to the first cave.




Damn high security cave...

It's just trees, trees, squirrels and more trees until you see this huge gate/fence thingy.  It felt like some sort of jungle prison at first.

Trader's cave

Great cave (I think)




Can't see shit, Cap'n!
My common sense probably failed me.  I thought I can go through the caves without any sort of flash light.  The lady at the counter didn't say anything as well.  I think I'll come back here again better equipped.  For now I made it through with a QT torch app.

Errr....
Final stop, finally reached the cave painting area and.... the whole place is fenced up and I can't see anything on the wall.  I don't even know where to point my camera at... *disappointed*


N8 flash full power.
Right... final picture... I'm not sure if my phone's ND filter got stuck again, it probably is (probably the only problem with my N8) but that's taken in total darkness with the built-in flash.  Note to self:  Must get an EDC light in future....

Maybe I'll post some of the videos when I have time.

No comments:

Post a Comment